Since Ramadan started I wanted to make a pumpkin soup, I never had one and I thought it would taste delicious because I like pumpkins :love:. However I had no recipe. So when Diet Care’s cook book arrived at my door, guess what was the first soup in the book was? yup it was pumpkin!
I made the soup but changed a bit in the ingredients …
Here is Diet Care’s recipe:
- 6 cups boiled pumpkin cut into cubes.
- 1 cup boiled potato cut into cubes.
- 1/2 cup boiled sweet potato cut into cubes.
- 4 tbsp fine chopped onions .
- 4 tbsp fine chopped spring onions.
- 4 tbsp fine chopped celery.
- 1 tbsp dried oregano.
- 2 tbsp white flour.
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar.
- 2 pinch onion powder
- 2 pinch garlic powder.
- 1 1/2 organic vegetable powder or vegetable stock .
- 2 dashes low sodium salt.
- 1 pinch white pepper powder.
- 3 cups water.
- Melt 1/4 tbs butter in a pan, saut’e onion, celery until golden and crisp.
- Add boiled pumpkin, potato, vegetable broth, oregano and cook on low heat for ten minutes.
- In a separate pan, make roux by melting remaining butter then add the flour and mix with a hand wire whisk then add 1/4 cup of water and mix until no dump remains, then ad to the previous mixture.
- Simmer for 10 minutes more. Remove from fire. Blend half quantity in blender and pass it through fine sieve and leave the other half to contain pumpkin pieces . Mix both togeather.
- Add whipping cream, mix well and cook for 5 more minutes .
- On serving garnish with Parmesan and serve hot.
I followed the same recipe but instead of sweet potato I used carrots and skipped the cream and celery . yumm!
Great nutritional benefits of pumpkins that you should know:
* Very low in calories which is why they are recommended on dieting programs.
* Its a rich source of fiber, anti-oxidants vitamins and minerals .
* It contains Zea-xanthin which has an ultra-violet rays filtering action which helps to protect against age related macular disease.
* Great source of antioxidants such as vitamin A, E and C.
* It’s rich in carotenoids which increase the immune system’s health.
So they keep you young! healthy! and skinny!